GREG COTE’S RANDOM EVIDENCE BLOG: MIAMI. SPORTS. AND BEYOND
1) It’s MONDAY, AUGUST 15. Join me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and TikTok. 2) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): Butch Davis on his retirement and career, new Greg Cote Show podcast, updated Mount Gregmore of columns.
GREG COTE SHOW PODCAST: NEW EPISODE OUT NOW!: LE BATARD SHOW, PING-PONG, NEW BOOK ON ’72 DOLPHINS: Our 35th episode of 2022 and 126th overall is out now! New episode drops every Monday at 7 a.m. ET on Apple, Spotify — wherever you pod and of course at MiamiHerald.com. Find all 126 we’ve done so far HERE. In our newest: Greg explains his frustration with his role on Le Batard Show, the Father-Son Olympics resumes with ping-pong, and Greg chats with special guests Marhsall Jon Fisher, author of “Seventeen and Oh,” the new ’72 Dolphins book pictured. Hit up GCS2235 for full story on latest ep, and watch our weekly YouTube preview. Thanks as always for the support, pod family. Please listen, review, follow, subscribe and so forth. We simulcast on Sirius XM, too, Mondays from 5-6 p.m. ET. And now our podcast has a website and merch store! Check it out at TheGregCoteShow.com and visit the store by clicking ‘Shop’. New items! Also check out our podcast’s new YouTube channel.
Be the change!: Visit Change.org/MountGregmore today and sign our petition to change the name of Mount Rushmore. It’s free!
MOUNT GREGMORE OF COLUMNS: OUR LATEST FIVE:
Hilltop: The five columns before that: Ross NFL Cheating Scandal A New Low For Owner Who Embarrasses Dolphins / 11 NBA Titles Not Where Bill Russell’s Legacy Starts. Tribute To An Epic Life / Deshaun Watson’s 6-game NFL Suspension A Slap-On-The-Wrist Affront / Ranking South Florida’s Top 20 Biggest Sports Stars (2022 Edition) / If Miami Marlins Trading For Juan Soto Sounds Laughable — That’s The Problem
HOT BUTTON TOP 10 (AUGUST 14-15): WHAT SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT: Our blog-exclusive Sunday-into-Monday feature is part week-in-review, part look-ahead. Hot Button means what’s on our minds, locally and nationally, from a Miami perspective, as the sports week just past pivots to the week ahead. The latest HB10:
1. DOLPHINS: Miami wins fake-game opener as most starters sit: Miami Dolphins opened their 57th preseason and first under coach Mike McDaniel Saturday night at Tampa Bay and won 26-24 because a last-second Bucs field goal try bonked off the right u[pright. Can’t get any read, though, because Miami stars like Tua Tagovailoa and Tyreek Hill did not play and Tampa also sat its top players. Third-string rookie QB Skylar Thompson played the whole for the Fins, and well. Tom Brady, whom the Dolphins recently were penalized for tampering in trying to lure despite his being under contract with Tampa, is on leave for personal reasons and did not play. Too bad. A QB of his youth and inexperience sure could use the reps. Fins play fake-game two (of three) next Saturday vs. Las Vegas.
2. HURRICANES: UM ranked No. 17 as season nears: Miami continues to grind through its first fall camp under coach Mario Cristobal, and high hopes were validaed with a No. 17 national ranking in the first major preseason poll out, the AFCA coaches’ poll. But that was only fourth among ACC teams, after Clemson (4), N.C. State (13) and Pitt (16). QB Tyler Van Dyke is tied for fourth-best Heisman Trophy odds, albeit as a 25-1 longshot. Canes open Sept. 3 with a soft-serve scoop vs. Bethune-Cookman,
3. TENNIS: Serena farewell builds drama for U.S. Open: Anticipation and emotion for the upcoming U.S. Open starting August 29 grew when all-time great Serena Williams announced she would be stepping away from tennis and turning attention to family and business interests after the New York major. She noted If she were man she could continue playing, but, at 40, with injury ossues and with her last major win 5 1/2 years ago, it is time.
4. NFL: Goodell wants hammer on Watson, who finally expresses remorse: NFL commish Roger Goodell has appealed the lenient six-game suspension of Browns QB Deshaun Watson and seeks 1-year-plus and a huge fine. An independdent arbiter will rule. Meantime Watson, for the first time, publicly apologized to the women who have accused him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions in an interview Friday, saying, “I want to say that I’m truly sorry to all of the women that I have impacted.” He went 1-for-5 in the Browns’ exhibtiion opener and was booed heavily in Jacksonville.
5. INTER MIAMI: Pozuelo leads win and Herons now on playoff pace: Inter Miami is 9-6-10 and tied for sixth in the hunt for one of seven MLS East playoff spots after Saturday night’s 3-2 home win over New York City fueled by two goals from recently acquired Alejandro Pozuelo. There are nine games left in the regular season of Year 3 for the Herons, the next this coming Saturday vs. Toronto.
6. MARLINS: Fish fading fast in another lost season: The fading Fish are 50-65, have lost four straight and are on a 3-13 skid in midst of a seven-game homestand vs. Braves and Padres. On Tuesday, Jake Paul will throw out the first pitch and nobody is sure why. ESPN’s new post-trade deadline farm system ranking has Miami No. 12. Highlights: RHP Eury Perez continues a great prospect, RF J.J. Bleday has played well, and SS Jordan Groshans, a top Blue Jays prospect, arrived by trade. Lowlights: RHP Max Meyer needs Tommy John surgery, RHP Sixto Sanchez has been (very) slow returning from shoulder problems, and SS Kahlil Watson has struggled.
7. HEAT: Durant ultimatum, Heat in ‘Summer Forecast’: Miami remains out of the Kevin Durant sweepstakes (for now) by refusing to include Bam Adebayo in a trade. Durant’s ultimatum to Brooklyn — he goes unless the coach and GM do — was met with a “no” by Nets owner, all but assuring a trade will happen, with Boston and Philly emerging as possibilities. Meantime ESPN’s Summer Forecast pegs Heat fourth in the East, with Bam second pick for DPOY and Erik Spoelstra third for top coach.
8. NBA: Russell gets permanent leaguewide honor: The NBA is honoring the legacy of Boston Celtics icon Bill Russell by retiring his No. 6 jersey for all 30 teams, a first in league history. Russell, who won 11 championships, passed away last week at 88. Seven Heat players have worn No. 6, the last LeBron James in 2011-14.
9. SOCCER: Messi snubbed as long streak ends: Futbol god Lionel Messi was left off the 30-man list of Ballon d’Or nominees for the first time since 2005 as contenders were announced. Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema is considered a favorite; Cristiano Ronaldo also is on the list. Messi has won the world player of the year honor seven times but scored only 11 goals in his debut season with Paris Saint-Germain. Three USWNT players made the 20-person list of women’s finalists: Veteran Alex Morgan and newcomers Catarina Macario and Trinity Rodman.
10. PANTHERS: Cats complete coaching staff: Florida Panthers announced three new assistants, Myles Fee, Jamie Kompon and Sylvain Lefebvre, have joined the staff of new coach Paul Maurice, hired June 23. Two other assistants, Tuomo Ruutu and Robb Tallas were retained. Five Panthers prospects are competing in the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) world junior championships that began this week and end next Saturday in Edmonton, Alberta.
Missing the HB10 cut: The PGA Tour won its court case to exclude LIV Golf defectors from its FedEx Cup playoffs. First of three playoff events was won Sunday by Will Zalatoris in Memphis ….. The Kobe Bryant crash-photos trial continues. Shame on the cops and investigators who distributed the gruesome pictures ….. La Liga, the premier Spanish league of Barcelona and Real Madrid and a bunch of other teams not them, kicked off this weekend ….. Cubs and Reds played in Field of Dreams II near the iconic Iowa cornfield from the 1989 movie, and that hologram of Harry Caray singing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” will forever haunt my dreams ….. One week after the blockbuster trade for Juan Soto, the Padres lose Cheatin’ Fernando Tatis Jr. to an 80-game suspension for PEDs ….. Romanian swimmer David Popovici, 17, became youngest to break world record in men’s 100-meter freestyle with a time of 46.96 at the European championships in Rome ….. Boxer Tyson Fury has retired again after being unretired ror about four minutes ….. In the latest cleansing of the once dirty name of gambling, Disney may partner with a sportsbook to integrate betting with its broadcasts ….. ESPN and the Big Ten have split up. No word yet who gets custody of the kids ….. Joint bids to host a World Cup are all the rage. With the U.S., Canada and Mexico sharing the 2026 WC, plays to host in 2030 include joint bids by Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay, and by Portugal and Spain ….. Regional play is underway building to the Little League World Series ….. The Greg Cote Show podcast is back with a new episode out Monday at 7 a.m. ….. Update: Countdown now 1,400 days even (give or take) until Miami hosts its first match in soccer’s 2026 World Cup.
Rk Pitcher Wins Season
1 Dontrelle Willis 68 2004-07
2 Scott Olsen 31 2005-08
3 Al Leiter 30 1996-97, ’05
4 Chris Hammond 29 1993-98
5 Mike Dunn 26 2011-16
***** —– ***** —– ***** —– ***** —– *****
Thank you!: Was honored to have again been named by Associated Press Sports Editors as national Top 10 columnist for 2021 in ’22 judging. The four nominated columns that won: Inter Miami’s David Beckham and Qatar a budding, avoidable controversy / Hall of Famer Jimmy Johnson knows biggest victory happened in own family / Scorned, but does he deserve empathy? Behind who Aubrey Huff became and Dolphins sabotaging Tua with interest in Watson
Select other recent columns: Dolphins’ Tua: The Disrespected Underdog QB About To Prove Everybody Wrong / How Matthew Tkachuk Brings Needed Swagger, Bravado To Panthers / Barkley, Djokovic, Lia Thomas: Being Sports Fan Never Harder — Or More Interesting / How Super Mario And The Cheetah were Sent To Save Football in Miami / How Messi-to-Miami Became the Biggest, Longest Tease In Sports / Why LeBron (of All People) Chiming In On Griner’s Russia Detention Is Ironic / Heat Luring Donovan Mitchell Involves Friend D-Wade, Arch-Enemy Ainge, Too / Why Miami Heat Should Re-Think, Go All-In For King-Whale Kevin Durant / Cup Of AK-47 Coffee At Cowboys Games? Nuthin’ Wrong With That, Huh Jerry? / Cy Young Alert: Marlins’ Ace-On-Fire Sandy Alcantara Does It Again / Nobody Wins, Everybody Loses, As NFL Weighs Deshaun Watson Punishment / The End Isn’t Here, But It’s Coming. Miami Sports Has Had Nobody Like Heat’s Pat Riley / Title IX Empowered Women. The Supreme Court Has Done The Opposite / Florida Panthers Swap Coach Of Year Finalist For Guy No. 1 In Career Losses / 20 Cases Settled, But Deshaun Watson Won’t Begin To Clear Name Without Remorse / Tua Will Handle Scrutiny & Pressure. Question Is If Rest of Miami Dolphins Can / ‘Black Cloud’ Over U.S. Open Amid Golf Civil War In Time Of Revolution In Sports / Curry’s 4th NBA Title, 1st Finals MVP Opens Path To Michael/LeBron Best-Ever Talk / Heat Season Ends One Win (One Shot?) Short Of NBA Finals In Game 7 Loss / No Consolation, No Excuse: Panthers Swept From Playoffs In 2-0 Loss A Brutal End / Why’d World Cup pick Miami? Thank Dolphins Founder & Unlikely Soccer Visionary Joe Robbie / Serena Playing Wimbledon Still Matters, Maybe More Than Ever. Because It Feels Like Goodbye / Whatever Happened To Don King? Famed Boxing Promoter Back At 90 For Last Bow in Miami / Mickelson, Johnson et al Are Saudi Pawns Pocketing Blood Money / Dolphins Denied It, But Deshaun Watson Lawyer Reveals How Close Miami Was To A Deal / A Lesson In Sioux City: Sports And Real Life In Age Of Mass Shootings / ‘Centerpiece of futbol in world’: Dream is green-lit. Now can Inter Miami deliver? / Only In Miami: Ex-Marlins Prez Samson Joins Fight vs. ‘Boondoggle’ Soccer Stadium / Blowing Up Dolphins’ Brady-Payton Plan Parting Shot Of Flores Lawsuit. For Now / Rotation Set, Lineup Improved, Excuses Gone. Time For Marlins To Win / Could Have Died. Nearly Lost a Leg. Tiger Playing Masters Means He’s Already Won / Marlins Owner Sherman Said He’d Spend. Payroll Says It Hasn’t Been Enough / Crushing End Short Of Final Four, But Miami Hurricanes’ NCAA Run Was Exhilarating Milestone / Tyreek Hill Trade, Terron Armstead Signing A Win-Now Power Play By Dolphins / When Spoelstra Joined Heat’s ‘Inner Circle’ And Became Riley’s Next Coach / Why Brittney Griner Is Lost In Russia / Brady A Dolphins Part Owner? Why It Could Happen / Top 15 Figures (Non-Athletes) In Miami Sports History / Hall of Fame Keeps Saying No, But Zach Thomas Keeps Feeling Gratitude / McDaniel Overcame Much In Own Life, Now Must Overcome Dolphins’ Turmoil And Win / An Inside Preview Of Le Batard Show’s Upcoming Musical. Yes, Musical / Ranking Flores/Ross Bombshell Among Biggest Dolphins Scandals / Ross Should Be Done As Fins Owner if Flores Allegations Are True / Dolphins Firing of Flores The Unjustified Travesty Of A Clown-Show Owner / Canes Land Grand Prize In Cristobal, So No Excuses Left. New Glory Days A Must / 50 Years At the Herald For Me — And a Lifetime Of Gratitude / UM And Blake James Parted Ways With Class — Which Butch Davis Didn’t Get From FIU / Dolphins Fans, Ex-Players Gather For Emotional Farewell to Don Shula, Father of the Glory Days / Fairy Tale With Wrong Ending: Remembering Jose Fernandez 5 Years Later / An Appreciation of Udonis Haslem As He Re-Ups For 19th Heat Season / College Football and FSU Lose a Treasure In Passing Of Bobby Bowden / Biles’ Withdrawal For Mental-Health Reasons Merits Empathy, Not Scorn / Where Dolphins Rank Among Teams With Longest Championship Droughts / Nassib Coming Out As Gay NFL Player A Milestone In Sports History / Le Batard Bet On Himself And His Audience — And Won Big / In History And In Hearts, Howard Schnellenberger Will Matter For All Time / Reality, Loss, Comeback: How Sports Has Been Guiding Light In America’s Awful Past Year / Time-Travelling To 1960s And Childhood, When The Baseball Card Was King / Marlins Hit History-Making Home Run With Kim Ng Hire As GM / Don Shula, 1930-2020, R.I.P. / What Shula Meant to a Father & Son. The Boy Was Me
Revisit this blog often because it updates regularly. The Associated Press Sports Editors 2021 writing awards again ranked the blog’s author a Top 10 national sports columnist in ’22 voting in the major-outlet category. Greg is also a regular on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz.
Finding Greg: Twitter. Instagram. Facebook. Columns. Podcast. Podcast on Twitter. Podcast on Instagram. LeBatard Show. Book: Fins At 50. Songs: Letting Go (audio only) and The Ballad Of 1440 (with video).